Discussion Week 8

Anika Sands
October 12th, 2017




During this week of class, instead of meeting online, we collaborated online as a class. I think it is very cool that even though we were not in a classroom all together, we were all still able to learn and discuss together the information that we learned. I liked the way that Tophat  asked questions throughout the reading, and brought a lot of interesting information to the table. The topic that I am going to focus on that was discussed in the reading is, civil inattention. According to the reading, civil inattention is, "the common understanding by you and by others in society- that you don't get into other people's business. We were asked to respond to "do you practice civil inattention online?", I think that it is very hard with social media to follow civil inattention. People are constantly following their friends, family, celebrities, companies and almost nothing is private anymore. It is so easy for screenshots or people to find out about your life through what you post, and its almost unintentional. Almost every time that I scroll through Facebook, I see a tagged photo that one of my friends is in or something that someone has re-shared that is business of somebody I don't know about. I think with social media and the internet, it is harder for people to follow the rules of civil inattention. 


Image courtesy of: Wikipedia Commons 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion Week Seven

Discussion Week 9

Discussion Post One